Since starting my blog a few years ago I have completely changed the way I shopped. I have always loved pretty things and had champagne taste on a PBR budget. Over the last two years I have found a way to get some of the coveted items I always though were just outside of my reach. So today I will share with you some tricks and tips to get those items at a much more affordable price.
1. Online cashback! For some of you this obvious, but after talking to a lot of friends not everyone seems to know about it. I primarily use Mr. Rebates and Ebates. If you have a Discover Card you can go through Discover Deals and get up to 15% cashback at times. Right now there's 15% cashback at Saks Fifth Avenue and 10% cashback at Sephora through Discover. This may not seem like a lot but believe me it adds up quick! This is a good time to buy a pair of classic Louboutins that rarely (if ever) go on sale since it's like getting 15% off. I'll post links below for you to sign up for these sites if you aren't already taking advantage of them. There are many other cashback sites out there, these are the one's I have personally use and would recommend.
Ebates (referral link)
Mr.Rebates (referral link)
2. Know your brands. It helps knowing about the brands you like. For example Christian Louboutin shoes do go on sale. Twice a year actually, however these are the more seasonal colors and styles with some classic once in awhile. Chanel does the same. Knowing the sale cycles and products makes it much easier to find what you covet at a discounted price.
3. Shop around. Again some of you are saying I do this! Before I buy ANYTHING, I always Google search the item to make sure I'm getting the best price with the highest cashback possible!
4.Gift Card events. Neiman Marcus and Saks both offer events where if you buy a certain amount they will give you a gift card. Some brands are excluded, but a lot of high end brands like Alexander Wang, Alexander McQueen, Chloe, and many others are not. My first bag splurge was an Alexander Wang Rocco. I added a filler item to my cart to put the total over 1000. For making a purchase over 41000, I got a $300 gift card. I also got 10% cashback. So ultimately I ended up paying $600 for the purse, which often costs more even on sale. Sometimes depending on the timeframe of your purchase, you can get an even better deal. With most credit cards they offer a price rewind. If the item goes on sale within 60-90 days of purchase they will give you credit back for the difference. This has worked out for me a couple of times making the item cost even lower! So this is why it's always good to know your brands and know the sales cycle.
5. Shop more buy less. Instead of buying a ton of items that are a good deal or cheap, buy smart. If you buy something think am I really going to wear this often? Many people will tell you of cost per wear, this is definitely something people should think about. For example I'm more likely to wear a purse or sunglasses for a long time, therefore spending on a high quality item rather than a bunch of cheaper items I grow sick of makes sense. I also do not take the tags off items until I wear them. If they sit in my closet for more than 3 weeks they go back (unless they are out of season like buying a sweater during the summer or vice versa) Bottom line is don't buy things you will not wear no matter how great the price.
6.Places I shop for deals. Of course there's your TJ Maxx, Homegoods, Marshalls, Off Saks, Neiman Marcus Last Call, Nordstrom Rack(I've found Jimmy Coo's, Mui Mui, and many other designer items at prices between $75-$250, sometimes with the item being full price in store still!), and many other stores that offer high end items at lower prices but there are other places as well. I'm a big fan of Gilt.com they offer a lot of Alexander McQueen items at great prices. For example his iconic skull scarves. They are usually a decent percentage off to begin with, but Gilt also sends out promo codes for an additional 10-30% making them a steal! I have bought many items this way. Another good site is the Outnet.
7. Secondary Markets like eBay, consignment &thrift stores and Poshmark. I shop through a lot of secondhand stores on Instagram. You can follow their accounts and when new items come in they post them and you can call and purchase. This is great for items you may have missed out on. I eyed a particular Alexander McQueen bag but it sold out online at a price I just couldn't pay. A few months later a trusted seller on eBay posted the bag at a great price and now its mine. Poshmark can be great too. I sell on there and have done very well making some money (I usually put right back into my closet)
My Poshmark Closet
These are just a few of the many ways you can find Luxury items at a more affordable price!